PGCC Reserve System

About Us

Port Glasgow Curling Club, one of the oldest clubs in Scotland in continuous existance, celebrates its bicentenary in 2027.

Please take some time to explore our Virtual Museum, which features a growing collection of artefacts and information about the club and the sport of curling.

Visit our Virtual Museum

Club History

Origins and Early Ponds (1827–1896)

Founded in 1827, the Club quickly became a cornerstone of local sporting life. Recognition followed in 1840 with admission to the Royal Club, affirming its growing stature. 1847 was to be the stormiest in the club’s history. After a dispute over the choice of President a group of curlers left the club to form their own Port Glasgow and Newark Union club. This breakaway group only lasted for five years however, with some curlers returning in 1852. The latter 19th century was marked by steady development and relocation of facilities: a move from Harelaw Pond to New Pond (1877), the erection of a pond house (1883), and fencing of the pond in 1885. Deciding that this pond was perhaps ‘too close’ to the town centre, by 1896 the Club relocated once more, this time to Slaemuir Pond, closing a formative chapter.

Growth, Challenge, and Change (1902–1937)

The early 20th century brought prominence and pressure. The Club took part in the Royal Club Bonspiel at Carsebreck (1902) near Stirling, while Crossmyloof (Glasgow) opened in 1907, offering new opportunities to play curling indoors. Not all ambitions succeeded—the Club’s own outdoor tarmac rink proposal failed in 1911 due to construction costs—and Crossmyloof closed in 1918. Despite these challenges, the Club celebrated its Centenary in 1927. The reopening at Crossmyloof in 1928 was followed by administrative and local challenges, including a farmers’ complaint and subsequent factors’ correspondence which asserted the club’s flooding of the farmer’s property. There were fears that the club could fold if they lost the use of their pond, but by 1937 the club had moved from Slaemuir pond to Devol (having lost their appeals to the factor and landlord).

Post-War Stability and Milestones (1953–1986)

Post-war years saw consolidation and memorable events. The old pond hut moved to Dougliehill (1953). With milder winters now there were fewer opportunities for outdoor curling but there were still some outdoor Grand Matches (last on the Lake of Monteith in 1979). The club’s secretary was congratulated during this era on the “pleasing design of the club’s first badge” which was modelled on the Coat of Arms of Port Glasgow. Greenacres opened in 1975 giving the club opportunities to play indoors closer to home. The club took some 10 sheets of ice there with a further 50 sheets at Crossmyloof and 6 at Irvine. The club celebrated it’s 150th Anniversary in 1977 and established social weekends at Forrest Hills (from 1984). The Indoor facilities at Crossmyloof finally closed in 1986.

The Indoor Era and Modern Celebrations (1993–2027)

A new chapter began with the start of indoor curling’s ‘Golden Age’ in 1993 across Scotland. The Waterfront opened in 1997, providing the club with an indoor venue on it’s doorstep. Nationally, Grand Matches (North vs South) were now played across Scotland in a number of the indoor Ice Venues on a nominated day (the South winning in 2000, 2005, 2010, 2015, and 2025). The Club’s Major anniversaries punctuated this period: 175th (2002), 185th (2012), and 190th (2017). The Club’s last weekend at Forrest Hills took place in 2004, before the venue’s closure in 2006. The story reaches a landmark moment with the Club’s Bicentenary in 2027, celebrating two centuries of curling heritage, being marked by a number of commemorative events.

PGCC Committee

Brian Blacklaw

Brian Blacklaw

President
Bruce Murray

Bruce Murray

Vice President
Danny McMahon

Danny McMahon

Secretary
Bruce Murray

Bruce Murray

Treasurer
Mike Mutch

Mike Mutch

Past President
​Duncan Anderson

​Duncan Anderson

Match Secretary
Sandy Cunningham

Sandy Cunningham

Safeguarding Officer
Brian Thompson

Brian Thompson

Ordinary Member
​Allan Walker

​Allan Walker

Ordinary Member
Raymond Jack

Raymond Jack

Ordinary Member

Our Sponsors

Sponsor Logo
Sponsor Logo
Sponsor Logo
Sponsor Logo
Sponsor Logo
Sponsor Logo
Sponsor Logo